The fall swap is less than three weeks away! We are excited to bring the swap to SPACE Gallery in Portland. This year, we are having the pre-swap drop-off the morning of the swap, so we need your help! We are looking for 6-8 volunteers to help sort clothes from 8 – 10 am (and then get into the swap for free) and from 10 am – 12 pm. If you are interested, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have not volunteered before, we encourage you to get involved! Going through all the clothes, shoes and accessories is lots of fun AND you get a sneak peek of what will be at the swap!
The crew from the first SWAPmaine event, May 2011!
Here are all the details you need to make this year’s swap a success:
SWAPmaine Fall 2013 Details
Saturday, October 12, 2013
SPACE GAllery, 538 Congress Street, Portland
(Look for parking on side streets or park in the Spring Street Garage for $1.75/hour)
EARLY CLOTHING DROP-OFF (GETS YOU IN FOR FREE)
- 8:00 – 10:00 am
- We encourage you get coffee, a fresh juice and breakfast at one the shops at the Public Market House after you drop off your clothes.
SWAP OFFICIALLY OPENS AT 10:00 AM AND ENDS AT 1:00 PM
- Bring your clothes during the swap and pay $5
- Don’t have much to swap? Donate $10 and fill a bag
All proceeds and leftover clothes benefit Goodwill.
Save the date! Our fall swap will take place at the SPACE Gallery on Congress Street in Portland on Saturday, October 12. Exact times will be shared shortly.
We plan on having early drop off in the morning, instead of the Friday evening before – more details soon! We are excited to see everyone at the swap!
Today is the day! We’re hosting our 4th SWAPmaine today at the East End School (195 North Street, Portland) from 10:00-1:00pm. We’ll open the doors at 9:00am to get people checked in and we’ll have coffee from Coffee by Design, as well as donuts. At 10:00am we’ll start the swap action! If you bring a bag of clothes you’ll get in for $5, no bag = $10.
Thanks to our sponsor MaineToday, and our partner Goodwill Industries of Northern New England. Remember, all proceeds and leftover clothes and accessories go to Goodwill.
See you there!
Unsure of how this whole clothing swap thing goes? Here’s some answers!
Can I show up anytime to swap?
Absolutely! Swapping goes until 1pm and we definitely add clothes throughout the day, as they are dropped off. Anytime you show up with a bag on Saturday, you only pay $5.
If I drop off early, do I get an early start at swapping too?
Alas, no. To be fair, we open the doors to everyone at the same time. And no pushing!
It’s almost summer, but can I bring sweaters?
Yes. But do keep in mind the types of things you’ll want to be shopping for at the swap. It’s 90 degrees out so sundresses and shorts are definitely more preferably than a stack of wool sweaters and pants!
What if I show up with a bag and pay but don’t see anything I like?
First of all – highly unlikely! But if that does happen, please know that your $5 donation and your clothing donation go directly to Goodwill and to a great cause. And trust us – you’ll find something.
Can I try on clothes there?
Sure can! We will have some mirrors but no dressing rooms. We recommend wearing leggings and a tank so you can easily try on dresses or skirts over your clothes.
I am not willing to part with any clothes but I’d love to come. Can I still swap?
Yes! Pay a $10 fee and you’re admitted to the swap!
If I show up after noon, will there still be clothes?
Yes, but of course there will be less options than at the start. But it will also be less busy so it’s easier to take your time perusing. Potato, potahto.
Have any other questions for us? Send us a tweet to @SWAPmaine!
1. Have a mental list (or even one on paper) of the items you need to complete your wardrobe. For example: a white oxford or a black pencil skirt or maybe it’s a sequined body con dress..
2. Be open minded. Missing a button, add a cool vintage one. A little too big? Take it in. A new trend you are dying to try? Just do it!
3. Don’t take something you know you will never wear. Yes, it is important to take risks, but if you know it won’t fit or you will never actual leave your house in it, leave it for someone else who may have been searching high and low for it.
4. Donate. ‘Cause it feels so good.
5. Don’t take more than you give. Remember, it is for charity.
6. Bring a friend. A good, second opinion can make making decisions quick and easy.
fun, tropical outfit made from swapmaine finds!
cant wait to see everyone at the swap!
Now that’s a pile of clothes… and I’m not even done yet.
For this swap, I’ve decided to be pretty ruthless. If I haven’t worn it in a few years – to the swap! If I like it, but it just doesn’t fit that well – to the swap! If it’s cute, but it would probably look cuter on another lady – to the swap! Yes, I’m parting with some good stuff, but i just keep thinking of all the great new things I’ll be adding to my closet.
What are some things you should bring to SWAPmaine on June 29 (details here)?
- Men’s and women’s clean, quality, clothing in good condition.
- Vintage clothing, in good condition.
- Shoes, also in good condition.
- Jewelry, bags, and accessories, you guessed it, in good condition.
What are some things you shouldn’t bring to the swap?
- Bathing suits
- Kid’s clothing
- Clothing, shoes, and accessories with holes, stains, pilling, excessive wear, or other damage.
- Dumpy old stuff. Leave the old, over-sized t-shirts and sweatshirts at home, we’re all trying to look cute this summer!
See you there, ladies and gentlemen!
SwapMaine’s fifth ever swapping event will take place on June 29th at East End School (195 North Street)
Swapping will run from 10 a.m – 1 p.m.
SWAP DROP OFF DETAILS
To get in for free…
On Friday, June 28th at the East End School from 4pm – 6pm we will be accepting early drop off’s in order to receive FREE ADMISSION into the swap! Just come drop off your bag and you’ll receive one ticket for free entry.
To get in for $5….
Show up the day of the swap on Saturday, June 29th. Doors open at 9 a.m. for donation drop offs. If you donate a bag the day of the event at any time, it is a $5 entry fee.
To get in for $10….
Want to fill up a bag but don’t have any clothes to donate? You can swap til you drop with a $10 entry fee any time you show up during swap hours!
For those of you that show up the morning of the swap for early drop offs, food and coffee will be provided in the waiting area!
More details to be announced later this week!